How do I become an OV?
Please register via this website, then enrol for the relevant OCQ(V)s – you can view a list of the training courses that are available below. If you wish to be considered for OV status, you must:
- pass the appropriate OCQ(V)s
- hold current Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) membership
- tick the relevant box to apply to the APHA to be awarded OV status
How much does it cost?
Please see the Fees page for a full breakdown.
How to register
Click here to register online >
What training courses are available?
- OCQ(V) - ES (Essential Skills)
- OCQ(V) - TT (Tuberculin Testing)
- OCQ(V) - SS (Statutory Surveillance)
- OCQ(V) - EX (Exports General)
- OCQ(V) - SX (Small Animal Exports)
- OCQ(V) - UX (Ungulate Exports)
- OCQ(V) - EQ (Equine Exports)
- OCQ(V) - CA (Companion Animals)
- OCQ(V) - GX (Germinal Products Exports)
- OCQ(V) - AX (Avian Exports)
- OCQ(V) - PX (Product Exports)
- OCQ(V) - CYTB Cymorth (Cymru)
For a more detailed overview please see About the OCQ(V)s
Other non OCQ(V) courses are also available. Please see Other Training for more details.
How do I access the training?
Most training is accessed via our online learning management system, Moodle, which you will access via your own Personal Training Dashboard once you are registered and enrolled on a course. You can enrol on your chosen course and complete it over a time period to suit you. The courses vary in length and can be done over more than one session. There is an additional Practical Assessment for the OCQ(V) - TT.
Once I have completed the training what happens next?
APHA will be automatically notified, through this website, and will process your authorisation for OV status – a process that can take up to 10 working days. Once successful, you will be notified by email and will be able to download your certificate of authorisation from this website. The APHA will then send your OV stamp to you – in most cases, this will be to your main practice address.
Please note: this is an automatic process, however, in order for it to proceed, you must have ticked the 'OV Authorisation' box and pressed 'Update' when you enrolled on your course. This notifies APHA that you require OV status once you pass the OCQ(V).
There is more information in the 'About' section of this website, including background and FAQs.
Counts of OVs Authorised by APHA in GB
START A NEW OCQ(V)
ONLINE LEARNING SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE