Official Controls Qualification
(Veterinary) OCQ(V)

You are here:  Home > Getting started > From outside Great Britain

From outside Great Britain

Thinking of working in England, Scotland or Wales? How can you gain an advantage when applying for work?

If you are hoping to work in England, Scotland or Wales, you should consider taking the OCQ(V) courses. These courses are for vets to do Government work as one of their other veterinary tasks and also can award credit towards a PgC in Veterinary State Medicine. You do not have to be employed directly by the Government to do this work. The vets who are qualified to undertake government work are known as Official Veterinarians, or OVs.

You can select the courses that are appropriate for the work that you intend to do. Holding these qualifications will look good on your CV, make you attractive to potential employers, and ensure that you are ready to undertake OV work soon after recruitment. Each course has an online exam, which must be taken in the presence of a registered Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (MRCVS) – this can be a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) for overseas students – a Registered Veterinary Nurse (RVN), a doctor or a lawyer. You then apply for OV status as soon as you arrive in the UK and have been admitted to the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. See RCVS for more information

If you intend to work in pet practice, you should consider the OCQ(V) - CA (Companion Animal), which is the qualification that you will need to be able to sign pet passports and other export papers. This course is entirely online and, once you have enrolled, it can be accessed at any time from anywhere in the world.

If your plans are to work in large animal practice you are very likely to be required to TB test. For this work you must hold OCQ(V) - ES (Essential Skills) and OCQ(V) - TT (Tuberculin Testing). The Essential Skills course is entirely online. The Tuberculin Testing course has a practical part which has to be completed after you start work in England, Scotland or Wales. OVs have a window of 6 months after being granted conditional authorisation for the OCQ(V) - TT to complete the practical training and pass the Practical Assessment part of the course. 

Please note, all the training is in English. Payment is in GBP.

See this page for further information on the OCQ(V) qualifications and if you have any questions please contact us.

Registered users

AHP Training

For Animal Health Paraprofessional training visit

Veterinary Practice magazine

Veterinary Practice magazine is home to the Official Vet column, providing OVs with the latest news and updates from APHA and Improve International as well as featuring interesting articles on topics relevant to the industry.

Getting started

New OV registration

How to gain an OCQ(V) qualification and become an OV


Register online to gain access to OCQ(V) training and revalidation

Latest updates

2019 OV Conference dates announced, Sept 25th and 26th

Register now for exclusive discounted rates. Book here.

Independent, confidential and free help for everyone in the veterinary community.