|CPD in the revalidation cycle|
|ESr (Essential Skills revalidation)||10 hours|
|EXr (Exports General revalidation)||10 hours|
|CAr (Companion Animals revalidation)||10 hours|
|AXr (Avian Exports revalidation)||10 hours|
|EQr (Equine Exports revalidation)||10 hours|
|GXr (Germinal Products Exports revalidation)||10 hours|
|PXr (Product Exports revalidation)||10 hours|
|SSr (Statutory Surveillance revalidation)||10 hours|
|SXr (Small Animal Exports revalidation)||10 hours|
|TTr (Tuberculin Testing revalidation)||10 hours|
|UXr (Ungulate Exports revalidation)||10 hours|
Continuous Professional Development
You will be asked to provide evidence of relevant CPD that you have undertaken to support this field of work. You will be expected to have completed at least 10 hours of relevant CPD within the revalidation cycle – this can include the 3 hours spent on the revalidation course and any additional time spent completing certification exercises and case logs for the revalidation course (no more than 1 hour per exercise).
CPD is recorded on your Personal Training Dashboard and you may want to start updating it now, and do this as you go along, rather than waiting for revalidation to begin. Whilst the CPD should be relevant to the OCQ(V) you are undertaking, it is possible to use the same CPD for multiple OCQ(V)s. Please highlight which of your OCQ(V)s each CPD entry applies to.
To complete revalidation, you will be asked to confirm that in this revalidation cycle you have undertaken at least 10 hours of CPD relevant to the OCQ(V) that you are revalidating, and that you have completed your CPD record on your Personal Training Dashboard to evidence this.
Click on the links in the table on the right to read more about the individual revalidation courses.
There is a process of Internal Verification (IV), which is carried out by ISVPS and involves 10% of candidates being randomly selected within 1 month of completion of all revalidation requirements.
If you are selected for IV and your CPD record or certification exercises/case logs do not meet the required standard, you will be contacted by ISVPS and offered an opportunity to update them to a satisfactory condition. If they are updated satisfactorily within 1 month, then no further action will be required. However, if they are not updated satisfactorily within the required time, this will be reported to APHA, who will review your case and may suspend or revoke your OV status. Please note – the ultimate jurisdiction lies with APHA.
Examples of CPD
The types of activities that would count as relevant CPD for all courses are:
- Reading the OV Instructions on the APHA Vet Gateway
- Reading information on policy changes provided via the APHA Briefing Notes
- Reading relevant articles in veterinary publications, e.g. relating to exotic diseases and notifiable diseases
- Attending the annual OV Conference
- Undertaking a professional key skills course
- Attending relevant pharmaceutical company CPD e.g. preventative parasitic treatments
- Reading relevant articles in the OV section of Veterinary Practice
- Mentoring other OVs who are new to the area of work
- Discussions with colleagues about cases/topics related to OV work
- Work with APHA relating to a notifiable disease
- Other relevant conferences and congresses or day courses
Some examples of CPD relevant to the OCQ(V) - TTr are:
- Supervising a conditional TT OV and completing the Supervisor training course
- Completing the OCQ(V) - Cymorth – TB course
- Completing the TB Farm Advice Online course
- Webinars on TB and TB biosecurity
- Peer reviewing a colleague's TB testing
- Discussing your TB audit or peer review with your auditor or collegue
CPD activities that may be relevant for the exports courses are:
- Reading the OV Instructions relating to exports on the APHA Vet Gateway
- Export case discussions with colleagues
- Reading instructions relating to the Pet Travel Scheme (CA, SX)
- Reading the OV Instructions relating to the Poultry Health Scheme on the APHA Vet Gateway (AX)
- Reading relevant FSA information (PX)
For more examples and links to useful sites and articles, please click here.
Click the buttons below for more detail about other aspects of the revalidation process:
START A NEW OCQ(V)
ONLINE LEARNING SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE